Aggressive, Skillful and Experienced Defense

December 2014 Archives

How do criminal offenders pay victims restitution?

Crime victims in Iowa sometimes pay a terrible price, whether it results in serious injury, damage or loss of property or other intangibles. Victims should not have to face the aftermath of suffering a crime without assistance, which is why Iowa law requires those convicted of a crime to pay restitution to their victims. While most people do not object to this principle of the criminal justice system, there may be times when those convicted of a crime are forced to pay excessive and unreasonable restitution amounts, even if they are not responsible for the costs incurred.

Police drop charges against Iowa State hoops star

Ames is one of the nation's great college towns, with an active and exuberant population of students and a rabid fan base of football and basketball fans. Iowa State fans may have heard about the recent criminal charges brought against star basketball player Bryce Dejean-Jones, but may be interested to learn that these possibly serious charges have now been dropped.

Female prison population growing extraordinarily fast

People in Iowa may have seen an interesting news article recently about an area of major concern to state public safety and policy. In the past 30 years, the female prison population has virtually exploded, growing some 600% percent during the last three decades. Not only does this pose concerns for these women, who are incarcerated and unable to function as productive members of society, but also for their families and the small children who rely on their mothers for support and a positive upbringing.

College students accused of crimes need legal representation

People in Iowa know that the consequences of a criminal conviction can be serious and widespread, but the group that is perhaps most vulnerable to these negative effects includes young people and college students. For college students with their whole lives ahead of them, nothing can be more frightening than the prospect of a criminal conviction interfering with their standing in school and their future job prospects.

Is it illegal to host a party where drugs are used?

It may sound hard to believe, but under Iowa law there are times when an adult can be held accountable for the actions of other adults over whom they have no control. Generally, under most acceptable theories of criminal punishment, a person should not be punished for people or things over which they have no control, but Iowa statute 124.407 begs to differ.

contact us FOR a Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IOWA Association for justice IOWA state bar association NACDL 1958 national association of criminal defense lawyers american association for justice board certified specialist DUI defense law the iowa state bar association

Notable Case Work

Attorney Thomas Farnsworth's client was arrested for multiple charges after being pulled over for an OWI 3rd offense. Mr. Farnsworth ....

Read More


Should I take a breath test?
The most common question asked of criminal defense lawyers who work on Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) or Driving While...

Can I get a work permit or temporary restricted license in Iowa after losing my driving privileges for an OWI?
For a first offense, yes. The revocation is this instance is 180 days for an OWI test failure and one year for an OWI test refusal...

Read More

Get In Touch

J. Dean Keegan and Thomas D. Farnsworth, Attorneys at Law
425 2nd Street South East
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406

Cedar Rapids Criminal Law Office

J. Dean Keegan and Thomas D. Farnsworth, Attorneys at Law
103 East College Street
Iowa City, IA 52240

Iowa City Criminal Law Office

J Dean Keegan Thomas DS Farnsworth Keegan Legal

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.