Aggressive, Skillful and Experienced Defense

A probation violation in Iowa can mean going back to jail

In Iowa a person who has been convicted of a crime is often placed on probation. This means the judge has deferred all or a portion of the person's prison sentence and allowed the person to live in the community. Someone placed on probation will be required to meet regularly with a probation officer. The judge will typically put other conditions on probation, such as attending drug or alcohol abuse classes and prohibition from carrying any form of weapon.

Violating the terms of one's probation can have serious consequences. If a probation officer or the Department of Corrections believes a probation violation has occurred, they can notify the court. A judge will then issue an arrest warrant. When the alleged violator is brought before the court, the judge can find them in contempt of court, impose additional conditions on probation or revoke the probation entirely and send the person back to jail to complete the remainder of their sentence. If the entire sentence was deferred, the judge can impose any sentence that could have been imposed for the original criminal charges.

Anyone accused of a probation violation in Iowa should act promptly to address the situation. If the person believes the allegation is unfounded, the individual can contest it at the hearing before the judge. If the alleged violation consisted of a failure to perform an obligation such as attending a class or paying a fine or restitution, the person may be able to avoid serious consequences by taking care of the obligation right away. An experienced criminal defense attorney can provide advice and assistance to anyone facing allegations of a probation violation.

Source: Iowa Code, ยง 908.11, accessed June 19, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

contact us FOR a Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

IOWA Association for justice IOWA state bar association NACDL 1958 national association of criminal defense lawyers american association for justice board certified specialist DUI defense law the iowa state bar association


Should I take a breath test?
The most common question asked of criminal defense lawyers who work on Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) or Driving While...

Can I get a work permit or temporary restricted license in Iowa after losing my driving privileges for an OWI?
For a first offense, yes. The revocation is this instance is 180 days for an OWI test failure and one year for an OWI test refusal...

Read More

Get In Touch

J. Dean Keegan, Eric D. Tindal & Andrea Mason Attorneys At Law
425 2nd Street South East, Suite 1250
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406

Cedar Rapids Law Office Map

J. Dean Keegan, Eric D. Tindal & Andrea Mason Attorneys At Law
103 East College Street, Suite 312
Iowa City, IA 52240

Iowa City Law Office Map

facebook twitter

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.